A Canadian company recently made the shocking, unilateral, and dangerous decision to bury over 7 million cubic feet of nuclear waste less than a mile from the shores of Lake Huron, and directly across the lake from residents of St. Clair, Sanilac and Huron Counties. Despite the outrage voiced by communities and residents in both Canada and Michigan, Canada's Joint Review Panel recently recommended the plan move forward.
I’ve asked President Barack Obama to exercise the United States’ rights under the International Boundary Waters Treaty to stop the Canadian government from approving this plan to bury this deadly waste in Michigan residents’ backyards, threatening Lake Huron for generations!
Will you stand with us?
State Senator Phil Pavlov - 25th District
Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Natural Resources, Environment and Great Lakes
Add your voice to those of thousands of other Michigan residents demanding that President Obama exercise the United States’ international rights to keep 7 million cubic feet of nuclear waste from being buried under the shores of Lake Huron!
- Ontario Power Generation, a Canadian company, plans to bury 53,000 containers of nuclear waste less than a mile from the shores of Lake Huron, and this plan was just approved by Canada's Joint Review Panel.
- The dig site is expected to take up over 70 acres–just a few minutes' walk from the water's edge.
- They plan to bury contaminated mops, rags, industrial items, filters and irradiated components from within nuclear reactors.
- Ask President Obama to engage the International Joint Commission to stop this dangerous plan before the Canadian government approves moving a single barrel of nuclear waste to the edge of Lake Huron.
- Pass Legislation in Lansing to add Type C radioactive waste to the state's list of banned waste, further protecting Michigan families and the Great Lakes from environmentally disastrous pollution.
- Urge leaders of the other Great Lakes states and provinces to join Michigan in this effort.
Will you stand with us today to demand that President Obama take swift and decisive action to protect Lake Huron?